Various Types of Mold Damage

Infestation of mold is associated closely with water damage. Flooding is the primary cause of the growth of mold in homes and other buildings. Some of the most common types of toxic mold are Aspergillus/Penicillium, Stachybotrys, and Acremonium. Aspergillus/Penicillium mold can be seen growing next to Stachybotrys, and it shares a lot of the same health risks. It is found mostly in moist, warm environments and is a hidden mold found commonly when building or home owners open up roofs or walls to look at a leak. This type of mold is capable of causing serious health problems. Stachybotrys mold can be found in homes which are exposed to significant water damage from roof leaks or broken pipes, or from persistent flooding. This type of mold can cause several symptoms in people that are uncomfortable and unpleasant. Acremonium mold is known by its unpleasant odor. If it is eaten, it is potentially toxic and can cause several physical ailments. The carcinogens and mycotoxins which are embedded inside Acremonium are known to do extreme damage to the body internally. It is best to take some precautions to avoid this mold, such as removing wet rugs and upholstered furniture until it has been dried and cleaned, keeping air circulating throughout the building and contacting a mold remediation specialist right away if you suspect this type of mold. mold

How do you know if you have Mold?

A moisture meter will be used during a routine mold remediation inspection to measure the levels of moisture in the home. Moisture in the walls, floors, and ceilings of your building is the primary indicator that mold is present. When you find dampness in windows, brown stains on ceilings, or dark spots on floors, or even bubbling paint on the wall, there is a high chance you have a situation of moisture which can promote mold growth. There are more obvious signs of mold such as mushrooms growing in carpeting, black spots on your walls and a persistent moldy, musty smell in your business or home.

Is mold only a topical problem?

In a majority of home reconstruction cases, mold isn’t limited to just the surfaces which you can see. Simple topical cleaning of the mold, therefore, is only a temporary solution. Attempting to remove the mold on your own can be quite dangerous. Mold spores will keep accumulating, and your environment can become a health hazard and toxic for anyone living in it. Homeowners will all too often do a surface cleaning and think that their problem is solved. This cleaning can spread the mold around the building instead and let it grow in other areas.

If you do see mold growing in your office or home, the best thing to do is to call a certified mold remediation specialist. Make sure that they are certified so that the infected areas are properly cleaned so your building does not get cross contaminated.