Health Effects of Mold in Your Bartow/Lakeland Highlands Home

By: David Touchton 
www.nationaldisasterrecovery.org
www.servprobartowlakelandhighlands.com

Mold is everywhere, even in Lakeland Highlands. Our air is full of tiny spores, floating about, looking for a moist place to grow. Even in dry climates like Lake Wales, mold cultures can develop into health hazards when left unchecked. To the average healthy person in Highlands City, the effects of most molds are completely harmless. However, some people may be sensitive or allergic to certain molds.

Common Health Effects of Mold
Indoor mold exposure can lead to a wide variety of health problems but most manifest as upper respiratory problems. People in Bartow with asthma or hypersensitive allergies are at the greatest risk. Common symptoms include coughing, wheezing and asthma-like reactions. Continued exposure can lead to permanent asthma problems particularly in children. Some other common health effects include skin rash, itching, nose congestion and eye irritation.

Extreme Cases
Regardless of the types of mold present, continued exposure to a high density of spores can lead to severe health problems. In extreme cases, some molds produce dangerous levels mycotoxins.
Mycotoxins are poisonous bacteria produced naturally by mold in order to prevent other molds from growing in their already over populated environment. Continued exposure can lead to digestive problems, vomiting, diarrhea, memory loss and even death. In some cases, individuals may develop a fungal infection on their skin or inside their stomach and lungs. In these instances, parasitic fungi, like those that cause athlete’s foot, develop cultures inside a human hosts.

How to Protect Yourself from Mold
Mold can grow on just about anything, from ceiling tiles to carpet, and anywhere there is sufficient moisture in your Babson Park home. Dripping pipes, leaky roofs and recently flooded areas of your Frostproof home are most susceptible to mold growth and should be thoroughly dried and cleaned. Make sure cooking areas, showers and laundry rooms are well ventilated to prevent build up in you Mulberry home. Mold often shows itself as small, colored spots accompanied by a musty smell. When you first notice the problem in your Wahneta home, remove the mold entirely using commercial products or a one cup bleach and one gallon water mixture. Be sure to wear protective gloves and eyewear. Once the mold is removed from your Eagle Lake home, completely fix whatever leak or stagnation led to the outbreak . The CDC recommends consulting a professional service in Alturas and surrounding areas if your area of contamination is over ten square feet.

If you think you or someone you know has been exposed to mold, consult your local physician. A simple blood test can check if your body has developed antibodies to fight a mold infection. However, their presence cannot tell you when you were exposed to the mold. Many doctors can perform simple skin tests to see if someone in your home is sensitive or has a mold allergy.

The best thing you can do for your health is take active precautions to prevent mold growth around your home and workplace. For more information on Mold visit Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) click here.

David Touchton

Mr. Touchton is the President and owner of ServPro of Bartow/Lakeland Highlands. He has 4 years of experience in the field and holds Water Damage Restoration Certification from IICRC. His office is certified in applied structural drying, water damage restoration, and lead-based paint activities and restoration. His favorite part of the job is helping people who have experienced a stressful event and our ServPro team can make it “Like it never even happened”.